Saturday, August 8, 2009

First Fever

James resting on the couch on his Boppy
Our baby boy is sick and it's my fault. I felt hot and had chills that started around noon on Wednesday. I was at the doctor by 3:00 p.m. and by 6:00 p.m. was home on Tylenol and antibiotics. I had over 101 fever and my whole body ached. I tested negative for strep and the flu but my doctor gave me antibiotics in case it was a bacterial infection but most likely it was just a virus. The doctor said James would probably get sick since I held him and took care of him all morning before I had any symptoms. Thursday afternoon James had 101.3 fever and by Friday morning it was up to 102.7. We went to the doctor and the nurses took blood and a urine sample (Don't ask how, Daddy couldn't watch but Mommy held James' hand). Dr. Smith, our pediatrician, said make sure James continued eating so he would get plenty of fluids and give him Children's Infant Tylenol every 4 hours. She also said that since he is so young if his fever gets higher than 103 to take him to the Emergency Room. This morning it was still almost 103 and he ached so much that he cried when I picked him up or moved him. Dr. Smith wanted to rule out Meningitis so we brought him back to her office today. We got the initial test results back and the doctor on duty did rule out Meningitis and a Urinary Tract Infection but we won't have the official blood results back until later in the week. James' fever did break late this afternoon and he has been sleeping most of the day...
I started this post last Saturday when James was sick but he is all well now! It was a terrible feeling, seeing our sweet baby so sick and there wasn't anything I could do to make him well. I think I held him and rocked him for two days straight and prayed for him to get well. We did get his official test results back and he did not have a bacterial infection and only a virus. His fever was gone by late Saturday night and he was much better by Sunday morning. We left for Red River Sunday night! We had a great time, are back now, and I have pictures from our trip that I will post soon.