Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Michael Scott has arrived!








Michael Scott has arrived! Michael was born on January 18, 2011 at 1:56 p.m. He weighed 8 lbs 14 oz and measured 21.5 inches long. He is beautiful and healthy with a head full of black hair. We are so happy he is finally here!

Michael's delivery was much different from his brother's because I wasn't in labor for 24 hours and it was a scheduled c-section. I was so much more relaxed since I knew exactly what to expect. I even had the same anesthesiologist and nurse anethetist in the operating room! They both remembered us too. We checked into the hospital at 10:30 a.m. and surgery was scheduled for noon. Our nurse told us that my doctor, Dr. Matthews, had an emergency surgery so we would be running a little late. We were very relaxed and just hung out with Mom and Papa while we waited for Dr. Matthews. We were of course anxious to meet Michael but were happy to not BE the emergency. I walked into the operating room and sat down on the table, again very different from the first time around since I had already been in labor and had the epidural. The anesthesiologist gave me the epidural and I have never liked needles so for me this was the worst part. I remember squeezing Sean's hand so hard the nurse suggested he give me a little "top shelf margarita" to take the edge off. It helped immensely. We then were all talking and joking. The nurse anethetist realized he remembered us and his name is James so we of course remembered him too. The surgery began and about 15 minutes later Michael arrived! There was music on and I remember Jason Mraz "I'm Yours" was playing and I thought how special the song will now be since we were listening to it when Michael was born! Hearing him cry for the first time was amazing. I remember when Dr. Matthews first saw James he said, "Look at those cheeks!" This time he said, "Look at that hair!" and Michael's hair is so funny because it sticks up everywere. I watched as he was weighed and measured then Sean put on his first diaper. I looked at our little miracle in awe and completely in love with him already. I held him as I was wheeled into recovery and I was a little out of it from the pain medication, even though I asked for as little pain meds as possible because I wanted to remember everything. We were in recovery for two hours and Michael nursed the entire time. We finally settled into our room around 5:00 p.m. and Sean went to pick up James so he could meet his little brother! It went as well as can be expected, James was a little unsure at first but then was very curious. Telling him a baby is in Mommy's tummy for months then meeting the baby is a little confusing. I know that siblings don't always get along but I hope and pray that James will love and protect his little brother and that they will someday be best friends.