Monday, August 16, 2010

First Day of "school"

Today was my first official day back to work but I won't have students until next week. I will be teaching 3rd grade Social Studies & Science at Silberstein Elementary with DISD. Going back to work full time was a hard decision but I knew it was best for our family. I also think being a Teacher is the best career for me since I can pick James up by 4:30 most days and have so much time off to spend with both of my boys (once #2 arrives!)

James had a great first day at Brookhaven Child Development Center! I only cried twice, once in the morning leaving for work and once during my lunch break. I am so grateful I do not have to drop him off. Sean will get James dressed, feed him breakfast, and drop him off at school every day. I will be picking him up! I had no idea I would miss James so much during the day. I know he is in good hands and will have a great time at school but these first few weeks are going to be hard. BCDC is a little bit of a drive for me after work but well worth it. It is a small facility but the teachers are wonderful. There are only eight students in James' Toddler 1 class with one teacher, Miss Deb, and a teacher assistant. Miss Deb has two sons, 27 and 25, and two grandchildren. She has been a pre-school & Sunday school teacher for over 20 years. I can tell James will really like her. Sean and I talked to her for 30 minutes about James' schedule and the curriculum they will be starting soon. I got to peek in on the class when I picked him James up today. He was sitting at a rectangular table with his back to me with three other students and was doing an art project with Miss Deb. I couldn't believe how all four of the toddlers were sitting so quietly, all participating, and completely engaged in what Miss Deb was saying. James made a house and he chose a red square for the bottom and a blue triangle for the roof. He also got to place doors and windows on the house, which were yellow rectangles. I of course saved the picture and will be laminating it and putting it on the fridge!