Thursday, April 30, 2009

James Peyton has arrived!!!











This is a long post! I wanted to remember everything about the day James was born so this is more like a very long journal entry. But, I hope James can read it one day and know how excited we were to meet him for the first time!

James Peyton Gebhardt was born on Tuesday April 28, 2009 at 8:44 p.m. He weighed 8 lbs 6 oz and was 21 1/4 inches long. The last two days have been a whirlwind to say the least so I am just now updating the blog!

We checked into the hospital on Monday night April 27th. The doctor started me on Cervidil, which was the first part of induction. I didn't really respond at all to the Cervidil so at 5:00 a.m. the Cervidil was removed, I took a shower, and at 6:30 a.m. the nurse started me on Pitocin to start the contractions. I was on the Pitocin all day and although I was having contractions I was not making much progress. During this process James' heartbeat was being monitored the entire time and his heart rate was dipping down and spiking back up. The doctor was concerned and decided it was time for my epidural so she could attach an electrode to James to monitor his heart more closely and also put a different monitor in me to more accurately measure the contractions.

I have to say out of the whole process the epidural was what I was fearing the most. I have never liked needles and the thought of needles being stuck in my spine and a doctor numbing me from the waist down by inserting medicine into my spinal fluid terrified me. Even though I had always planned on having an epidural I started crying when the doctor said it was time for me to get it! I was that scared. My anesthesiologist was amazing! Yes the epidural did hurt but he talked me through the entire process and told me exactly what he was doing and what sensations I would be feeling. Mom and Sean were in the room but Sean couldn't really watch. They both did say I turned white as a ghost! After the epidural I was numb exactly where I was supposed to be but could still feel a little tingling in my legs and could still move them!

After the epidural the doctors and nurse were able to monitor James' heartbeat more closely and see exactly what was causing his heart rate to dip down. It turns out my contractions (which I couldn't feel at this point) were off the charts and had been for a while but the first method of monitoring wasn't exactly accurate with measuring the intensity. So as soon as they turned down my dose of Pitocin James was not stressed anymore. He was actually perfectly content and didn't want to drop down at all! After a few more hours I was still only dilated 2 cm and James was positioned so high that he was not dropping down. My doctor said since it was not an emergency we would wait a little while for an operating room to open up and go in for a c-section.

We went into the operating room around 8:15 p.m. and James was born at 8:44 p.m. The sound of him crying was indescribable and the most wonderful moment of my life. I will never forget it. Sean was holding my hand and we were looking into each others eyes then we heard James cry for the first time. Of course we both cried and then all I wanted to do was see him. Since it was a c-section a team from the NICU was in the room and had to check James out first. I sent Sean over with the camera to take pictures and then after they quickly determined James was perfectly healthy Sean brought him over to me. I just stared at him in awe. I might be a little biast but I think he is absolutely precious!